Level 3 | DiabetesEd Certification Boot Camp | 14+ CEs
One Year Subscription | 9 online courses | Earn 14+ CE’s
This bundle is specifically designed for healthcare professionals who are studying for the Board Certified in Advanced Diabetes Management (BC-ADM) or the Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist (CDCES) certification exam.
In each webinar, Coach Beverly Thomassian, RN, MPH, CDCES, BC-ADM highlights the critical content of each topic area so you can focus your study time most efficiently. She also launches multiple poll questions that highlight key concepts to help students assess their knowledge and learn the best test-taking strategies.
Each individual online course includes a: video presentation, podcast, practice test, and additional resources. After purchase, you have immediate access to your courses for 1 full year.
Intended Audience: This library of critical information is designed for individuals or groups of diabetes specialists, including RNs, RDs, Pharmacists, Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Physician Assistants, and other health care providers interested in staying up to date on current practices of care for people with diabetes and preparing for the BC-ADM or the CDCES certification Exam.
Level 3 | Diabetes Specialist Boot Camp Sessions
- Boot Camp 1: Diabetes | Not Just Hyperglycemia | 1.75 CEs - Ready for OnDemand Viewing
- Boot Camp 2: Standards of Care & Cardiovascular Goals | 1.8 CEs - Ready for OnDemand Viewing
- Boot Camp 3: Meds for Type 2 | What you need to know | 1.75 CEs - Ready for OnDemand Viewing
- Boot Camp 4: Insulin Therapy | From Basal/Bolus to Pattern Management | 1.75 CEs - Ready for OnDemand Viewing
- Boot Camp 5: Insulin Intensive & Risk Reduction | Monitoring, Sick Days, Lower Extremities | 1.75 CEs - Ready for OnDemand Viewing
- Boot Camp 6: Medical Nutrition Therapy | 1.75 CEs - Ready for OnDemand Viewing
- Boot Camp 7: Microvascular Complications & Exercise | Screen, Prevent, Treat | 1.75 CEs - Ready for OnDemand Viewing
- Boot Camp 8: Coping & Behavior Change | 1.75 CEs - Ready for OnDemand Viewing
Boot Camp 9: Test-Taking Coach Session (48 Questions) | No CE - Ready for OnDemand Viewing
All hours earned count toward your CDCES Accreditation Information
Level Flyer: Click here to download.
All of our topics are filled with clinical pearls and information you can use in your practice setting. We offer a wealth of information for those wanting to take their diabetes knowledge to the next level! The majority of students that take this bundle, go on to pass the exam. Check out our Graduate Success Stories.
Courses included in this Boot Camp:
Boot Camp 1: Diabetes | Not Just Hyperglycemia
Diabetes is complicated! This course starts with a brief introduction to the epidemiology of diabetes & social determinants of health. Then, the underpinning of pancreas dysfunction & the different types of diabetes are reviewed & clarified. Insulin resistance is addressed asd well as the diagnostic criteria for diabetes.
- Discuss the epidemiology of diabetes.
- Differentiate between the different types of diabetes, including Type 1, Type 2, LADA, GDM, & other causes.
- Describe the natural history of diabetes & diagnostic criteria.
- Address the relevance of insulin resistance & CV Disease.
Boot Camp 2: Standards of Care & Cardiovascular Goals
Get ready to lead the charge to implement best care practices while preparing for certification. This Boot Camp Intensive reviews the glucose goals of care from pediatrics, through pregnancy, during middle age, & for seasoned citizens. We also take a close look at the goals for CV care & strategies to reduce the risk of experiencing CV events. Resources for hypertension & lipid medications are provided.
- Describe 3 Landmark Diabetes Studies.
- List glucose goals for adults, pediatrics, & pregnancy.
- Discuss the impact of diabetes on cardiovascular health.
- Describe strategies & medications used to decrease the risk of CV events.
Boot Camp 3: Meds for Type 2 | What You Need to Know
This course highlights the array of oral & injectable medications to treat hyperglycemia for people with type 2 diabetes. We explore clinical issues to consider when determining the best strategy to improve glucose control. We discuss cost, side effects, complexity, & other factors into consideration. We also discuss how to integrate the ADA algorithms into practice.
- Describe the main action of the different categories of type 2 diabetes medication.
- List the side effects & clinical considerations of each category of medication.
- Apply the ADA & AACE algorithm to determine the best medication match based on individual characteristics.
Boot Camp 4: Insulin Therapy | From Basal/Bolus to Pattern Management
This course reviews the effective use of insulin therapy to improve glucose control. Learn how to look at glucose patterns & determine appropriate insulin adjustment strategies. Also included are formulas to calculate therapy based on national guidelines.
- Discuss the actions of different insulins.
- Describe pattern management as an insulin adjustment tool.
- State how to calculate insulin needs & determine basal-bolus insulin dosing.
- List teaching tools for insulin administration.
Boot Camp 5: Insulin Intensive & Risk Reduction| Monitoring, Sick Days, Lower Extremities
The purpose of this course is to spend focused time reviewing insulin pattern management, dosing strategies, basal-bolus, & carb-counting calculations. We explore the ins & outs of monitoring, & sick day management, & provide a brief review of hypoglycemia & hospitalization. This course content will boost your knowledge & confidence in recommending insulin adjustments to individuals with diabetes & providers.
- Determine appropriate insulin dosing.
- Calculate insulin sensitivity & carb-to-insulin ratios.
- Consider individual characteristics when determining insulin dosing.
- Discuss the management of diabetes during sick days & hospitalizations.
- List the elements involved in a Lower Extremity Assessment.
Boot Camp 6: Medical Nutrition Therapy
This course reviews the latest nutrition guidelines & strategies to individualize this information based on assessment. Included is a discussion on weight-loss approaches, metabolic surgery, gastroparesis, & disordered eating, & behavioral coaching.
- Discuss national guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy.
- State different meal planning approaches.
- Describe gastrointestinal issues associated with diabetes.
- Discuss approaches to discussing & supporting weight loss.
Boot Camp 7: Microvascular Complications & Exercise | Screen, Prevent, Treat
We review the benefits of exercise & focus on the latest national guidelines for activity, strengthening, & balance. We summarize the impact of chronic hyperglycemia on the eyes, kidneys, nerves, & lower extremities. Included is a discussion on screening guidelines to promote early detection & treatment. We also review the benefits of exercise & focus on the latest national guidelines for activity, strengthening, & balance.
- Identify the most common microvascular complications.
- Describe modifiable & non-modifiable risk factors for diabetes complications.
- List screening guidelines.
- Discuss how exercise affects physiology & American Diabetes Association's (ADA) guidelines.
- List precautions a person with diabetes needs to take before, during, & after exercise.
Boot Camp 8: Coping and Behavior Change
This course provides a framework to assess patient barriers and support behavior change. We explore psychosocial issues that may be blocking patients from adopting healthier behaviors and provides strategies to identify and overcome these barriers. We conclude with a review of the major learning theories with a focus on empowerment.
- Discuss the chronic care model.
- Describe coping & individual assessment.
- List psychosocial, emotional & life barriers to diabetes self-care.
- Discuss strategies to assist people living with diabetes with individualized coping skills.
- Describe behavior change models & approaches.
Boot Camp 9: Test-Taking Coach Session (48 Questions) | No CE
Are you almost to the finish line and ready to take the CDCES or BC-ADM exam in the near future?
If yes, this test-taking Diabetes Educator Online Boot Camp is designed for you. First, you take 48 sample questions online. Then you join Coach Beverly for an hour-long webinar to learn how to work through the test questions and get to the right answer! Coach Beverly will go through as many questions as is possible in a one-hour session.
She helps you avoid common traps and provides Insights and tips to increase your confidence and ability to choose the right answer.
Content Included: Each course includes a video presentation of the webinar with handouts, a podcast version, additional helpful resources, a brief required survey, a practice test, and your CE Certificate once completed.
Instructor: Beverly Thomassian RN, MPH, CDCES, BC-ADM is a working educator and a nationally recognized diabetes expert for over 25 years. She is an Associate Clinical Professor at UCSF and Founder of Diabetes Education Services.
Fee: $279 (Group Discounts Available)
Level Flyer: Click here to download.
Accreditation: Diabetes Education Services is an approved provider by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider 12640, and Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR), Provider DI002. Since these programs are approved by the CDR it satisfies the CE requirements for the CDCES regardless of your profession.* The use of DES products does not guarantee the successful passage of the CDCES exam. CBDCE does not endorse any preparatory or review materials for the CDCES exam, except for those published by CBDCE.