Level 2 | Standards of Care Intensive | 20+ CEs
One Year Subscription | 13 online courses | Earn 20 CEs
Our Level 2 Courses break down the ADA Standards of Care into knowledge nuggets that highlight the critical content needed for clinical practice and exam success. You can choose to view the courses in the same order as the Standards as indicated by class number. Or you can navigate your own path, starting with the content you are least familiar with, then moving forward into the topics that you have the greatest knowledge.
This bundle is specifically designed for healthcare professionals who want to learn more about the ADA Standards of Diabetes Care for their clinical practice or for those who are studying for the BC-ADM or the CDCES certification exam.
In each webinar, Coach Beverly Thomassian, RN, MPH, CDCES, BC-ADM highlights the critical content of each topic area so you can focus your study time most efficiently. She also launches multiple poll questions that highlight key concepts to help students assess their knowledge and learn the best test-taking strategies.
Each individual online course includes a: video presentation, podcast, practice test, and additional resources. After purchase, you have immediate access to your courses for 1 full year.
Intended Audience: This library of critical information is designed for individuals or groups of diabetes specialists, including RNs, RDs, Pharmacists, Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Physician Assistants, and other healthcare providers interested in staying up to date on current practices of care for people with diabetes and preparing for the BC-ADM or the CDCES certification Exam.
Diabetes Specialist Online Standards of Care Intensive Webinar Updates
- Class 1: Meds Management Update for Type 2 | New ADA/EASD Consensus Statement | 1.5 CE
- Class 2: Hyperglycemic Crises, DKA & HHS Standards | 1.0 CE
- Class 3: How to Assess Well-Being | From Populations to Individuals | 1.5 CEs
- Class 4: ADA Standards of Care | 2.0 CEs
- Class 5: Critical Assessment in Diabetes Care | Fine-Tuning Diabetes Detective Skills | 2.0 CEs
- Class 6: Microvascular Complications Prevention & Treatment | Eye, Kidney, Nerve Disease | 1.75 CEs
- Class 7: Cardiovascular Disease & Diabetes | 1.5 CEs
- Class 8: Lower Extremity Assessment | 1.5 CEs
- Class 9: Older Adults & Diabetes | 1.5 CEs
- Class 10: From Tots to Teens | Diabetes Standards | 1.5 CEs
- Class 11: Pregnancy & Diabetes | 1.5 CEs
- Class 12: Hospitals & Hyperglycemia | 1.5 CEs
- Class 13: Setting up a Successful DSME Program | 1.5 CEs
All hours earned count toward your CDCES Accreditation Information
Level Flyer: Click here to download.
These specialized courses are designed as the next step after completing our Level 1 Fundamentals Courses or as an opportunity to expand your knowledge base.
All of our topics are filled with clinical pearls and information you can use in your practice setting. We offer a wealth of information for those wanting to take their diabetes knowledge to the next level! The majority of students that take this bundle, go on to pass the exam. Check out our Graduate Success Stories.
Courses included in Level 2 Bundle:
In this exciting webinar, Coach Beverly walks participants through the newly released, "Management of Hyperglycemia in Type 2 Consensus Report" by the American Diabetes Association (ADA) & EASD.
- Describe the role of Diabetes Care & Education Specialists in advocating for optimal therapeutic approaches.
- Discuss the application of the new ADA/EASD Guidelines to improve glucose and reduce CV and renal risk.
- List strategies to initiate & adjust oral & injectable therapy using a person-centered approach.
This course discusses common causes of hyperglycemia crises. Topics include hyperglycemia secondary to medications & insulin deprivation. The difference & similarities between Diabetes Ketoacidosis & Hyperosmolar Hyperglycemic Syndrome are also covered. Treatment strategies for all situations are included.
- Discuss the common causes of hyperglycemic crises.
- List the difference & similarities between DKA and HHS and treatment strategies.
- Describe the causes & treatment of hyperglycemic crises.
This course offers critical content that will help with certification exam success. Coach Beverly will delve into Social Determinants of health, assessment strategies, & behavior change approaches.
She will explore the psychosocial issues that can discourage individuals from adopting healthier behaviors & provide strategies to identify & overcome these barriers. Life studies are used to apply theory to real-life situations. This is a great course for anyone in the field of diabetes education or for those looking for a new perspective on assessment & coping strategies.
- State strategies to assess & address social determinants of health.
- Discuss healthcare delivery systems using a person-centered approach.
- List screening tools that can help detect depression, trauma, & cognitive decline.
- Describe psycho-social & emotional barriers to diabetes self-management.
- Provide strategies for healthcare professionals to identify & overcome barriers to self-care.
This course, updated annually, is an essential review for anyone in the field of diabetes. Join Coach Beverly as she summarizes the annual updates to the American Diabetes Association’s (ADA) Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes & provides critical teaching points & content for healthcare professionals involved in diabetes care & education.
- A review of changes & updates to the annual ADA Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes.
- Identification of key elements of the position statement.
- Discussion of how diabetes educators can apply this information in their clinical setting.
This course integrates the American Diabetes Association's (ADA) Standard of Care on elements of a comprehensive medical assessment (Standard 4) of the individual living with prediabetes, diabetes, or hyperglycemia. Through case studies & real-life situations, we discover often hidden causes of hyperglycemia & other complications, such as liver disease, sleep apnea, pancreatitis, autoimmune diseases, fractures, & more. We delve into therapy for complicated situations & discuss management strategies for other conditions associated with hyperglycemia such as Cystic Fibrosis, & Transplants.
- Identify common yet often underdiagnosed complications associated with type 1 & type 2 diabetes.
- State strategies to identify previously undiscovered diabetes complications during assessments.
- Discuss links between hyperglycemia & other conditions including transplant, cystic fibrosis, & liver disease.
This course provides the need-to-know information regarding the microvascular complications of diabetes. It includes a brief overview of the pathophysiology & clinical manifestations along with prevention strategies & screening guidelines. This straightforward program will provide participants with the information they can use in a clinical setting & also provides critical content for certification exams.
- List the main factors contributing to eye, kidney, & nerve disease.
- Describe modifiable & non-modifiable risk factors for diabetes complications.
- State screening guidelines & prevention strategies.
This course takes a close look at insulin resistance syndrome & vascular complications. We discuss the impact of vessel disease from the heart to the toes. Included is a discussion of identifying & preventing vascular disease & a comprehensive review of the latest American Diabetes Association's (ADA) Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes for heart disease.
- The impact of insulin resistance & hyperglycemia on vessel disease.
- State the complications & factors associated with vascular disease.
- List management goals to reduce the risk of vascular disease.
- Discuss strategies to promote health.
People with diabetes are at increased risk of Lower Extremity Complications. This course reviews the steps involved in performing a detailed assessment of the lower extremities, including how to use a monofilament and tuning fork to detect neuropathy. We also discuss the significance of Ankle Brachial Index and strategies to prevent lower extremity complications.
- Describe the risk factors for lower extremity complications.
- Discuss prevention strategies.
- Demonstrate steps involved in a lower extremity assessment.
We are living longer & more people are getting diabetes. The American Diabetes Association has updated the Older Adults Standards, with special attention to considering the reduction of medication & insulin therapy intensity. The older population has unique issues & special needs that require consideration as we provide diabetes self-management education. This online course highlights key areas of assessment, intervention, and advocacy for older clients living with diabetes.
- Self-management considerations for older individuals.
- Strategies to prevent complications & maintain optimal quality of life.
- The role of the Diabetes Care & Education Specialist as an advocate.
This course includes updated goals & guidelines for children living with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. This course discusses the special issues diabetes educators need to be aware of when working with children with diabetes & their families. We discuss the clinical presentation of diabetes, goals of care, & normal growth & development through the early years through adolescence. Strategies to prevent acute & long-term complications are included with an emphasis on positive coping for families & children with diabetes.
- Discuss the goals of care for Type 1 and Type 2 Kids with Diabetes.
- State Strategies to prevent acute and chronic complications.
- Discuss the importance of positive psychosocial adjustment & resources.
Pregnancy with diabetes is confronted with a variety of issues that require special attention, education, & understanding. This course reviews those special needs while focusing on Gestational Diabetes & Pre-Existing Diabetes. Included are the most recent diagnostic criteria, management goals, & prevention of complications during pregnancy. This is a helpful review for Certification Exams & those who want more information on people who are pregnant & live with diabetes.
- List three issues that affect pregnancy with diabetes.
- Describe the unique attributes of pre-existing diabetes in pregnancy & gestational diabetes.
- State the diagnostic criteria & management goals for gestational diabetes.
- Potential short-term & long-term complications of fetal exposure to hypoglycemia.
- Prevention measures to keep mother & baby healthy.
Research clearly demonstrates the importance of glucose control during hospitalization to improve outcomes not only in the inpatient setting but after discharge. This course reviews the evidence that supports inpatient glucose control & outlines practical strategies to achieve targets in the inpatient setting. We incorporate the latest American Diabetes Association's (ADA) Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes & provide links to resources & inpatient management templates.
- Describe the impact of hyperglycemia in the hospital setting.
- Discuss the importance of inpatient glucose control.
- List three strategies to get glucose to goal in the hospital setting.
This course provides you with a succinct overview of the latest standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) & Support Programs. If you are taking certification exams or considering setting up a DSME program, this program is designed for you. We highlight the newly revised & simplified standards & provide strategies for program implementation. In addition, we discuss Medicare Reimbursement & covered benefits. This course provides insights into the exam philosophy & also highlights critical content areas.
- Describe DSME program examples from across the country.
- List the six standards for creating a successful DSME program.
- Discuss marketing strategies for success.
- Describe Medicare Reimbursement for diabetes care & education.
Content Included: Each course includes a video presentation of the webinar with handouts, a podcast version, additional helpful resources, a brief required survey, a practice test, and your CE Certificate once completed.
Instructor: Beverly Thomassian RN, MPH, CDCES, BC-ADM is a working educator and a nationally recognized diabetes expert for over 25 years.
Level Fee: $229.00 (Group Discounts Available)
Level Flyer: Click here to download.
All hours earned count toward your CDCES Accreditation Information
All video presentations and podcasts available now On Demand.
Accreditation: Diabetes Education Services is an approved provider by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider 12640, and Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR), Provider DI002. Since these programs are approved by the CDR it satisfies the CE requirements for the CDCES regardless of your profession.*
The use of DES products does not guarantee the successful passage of the CDCES exam. CBDCE does not endorse any preparatory or review materials for the CDCES exam, except for those published by CBDCE.