Join us on May 22nd & May 29th, 2024 for our
ReViVE 5 Diabetes Training Program:
Unlocking Hidden Barriers to Diabetes Management
"ReVive 5 Program is the best program I have ever attended - should be required for all diabetes educators! Thank you so much for translating this research into practical approaches!!" -Sarah F.
Addressing diabetes distress can be tricky, even for seasoned healthcare professionals.
We invite you to attend this hands-on training program that provides the essential steps to address diabetes distress combined with an innovative approach to glucose management. Our experts offer realistic strategies to address diabetes distress that you can immediately apply to your practice setting. Plus, the ReVive 5 Program provides a breadth of tools and resources to create more meaningful connections with people with diabetes.
“ReVive 5” breathes new life into our relationship with diabetes, bringing a fresh perspective to both the person with diabetes and the provider.
The ReVive 5 program is built on sound research from the Embark Trial and will revolutionize your approach to diabetes self-management education.
We have reassembled the Embark training team and created a resource binder of fantastic tools that we are excited to share with you in our ReVive 5 Diabetes Training Program. You are invited to join us to learn a step-wise, proven approach to addressing hidden barriers to diabetes self-management and glucose management.
You don’t need to be mental health expert or diabetes technology wiz to join this training or to integrate these new strategies into your daily practice.
ReVive 5 uses an integrated, evidence-based approach that provides health care professionals with a realistic 5-step approach to addressing the whole person, starting with emotional distress and incorporating a unique, but integrated approach to problem-solving glucose management difficulties.
Intended Audience: This library of critical information is designed for individuals or groups of diabetes specialists, including RNs, RDs, Pharmacists, Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Physician Assistants, and other health care providers interested in staying up to date on current practices of care for people with diabetes and preparing for the CDCES or BC-ADM Certification Exams.
Can't join live? That's okay. Your registration guarantees you access to the recorded version of the series, along with podcasts and resources for one full year.
Accredited Training Program:
- 15+ CEs – Includes the 7-hour ReVive 5 Training Program, Certificate, and 5 FREE bonus courses to supplement content.
- A comprehensive set of assessment tools, educational materials, log sheets, and resources.
Join us to gain the confidence and learn the skills needed to support people with diabetes to move forward in their self-management and discover the expert within.
Team of Experts:
ReVive 5 is taught by a team of 3 Interdisciplinary Experts:
- Lawrence Fisher, Ph.D., ABPP, Professor Emeritus, UCSF
- Susan Guzman, PhD
- Beverly Thomassian, RN, MPH, CDCES, BC-ADM
Speakers Interviews – Learn more about the ReVive 5 Team
- What is the Biggest Takeaway when Addressing Diabetes Distress? – Dr. Susan Guzman
- Do you have to be a Mental Health Expert to Tackle Diabetes Distress? – Dr. Lawrence Fisher
- Why I Transformed my Approach to Diabetes Self-Management Education- Coach Beverly
ReVive 5 Training Program for Health Care Professionals:
2 sessions – Each 3.5 hours (15-minute Q&A included)
Session 1 Topics - Airs Live May 22, 2024
What is Diabetes Distress, and what do we know about it?
- How does diabetes distress affect self-care?
- How is diabetes distress different from depression?
- How can diabetes distress be assessed practically in clinical care?
Using the ReVive 5-step approach to address distress and support behavior change
- Specific tools to enhance effective communication strategies to address diabetes distress.
- Four practical steps to address diabetes distress as a barrier to self-care.
Session 2 Topics - Airs Live May 29, 2024
Finding the Expert Within – four steps to help individuals discover their expertise to improve glucose and feelings of self-efficacy
- Reviewing the diabetes knowledge
- Establishing a diabetes toolkit
- How to determine if basal insulin is right
- Discovering the impact of diet, exercise, stress, insulin, etc. on glucose levels.
- How to evaluate insulin-to-carb ratios and correction factors without fancy formulas.
Using ReVive 5-Step Approach to Integrate the Whole Person Intensive Case Study
- Exploring glucose patterns and identifying problems
- Using an integrated log sheet as a powerful tool to identify what needs fixing: pattern recognition.
- Case reviews that exemplify common glucose problems and enhance problem-solving skills.
- Utilizes the person’s distress profile to better anticipate and respond to barriers and setbacks.
ReVIVE 5 is a one-of-a-kind, practical 5-step program that provides effective intervention strategies that address the whole person and the interconnected components linked with living healthfully with diabetes.
Bonus Courses - 8.5 CEs
These optional bonus courses are designed to provide attendees with additional information to expand their knowledge and acquire additional CEs.
This course is an essential review for anyone in the field of diabetes. Join Coach Beverly as she summarizes the 2023 updates to the American Diabetes Association’s Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes and provides critical teaching points and content for healthcare professionals involved in diabetes care and education.
- A review of changes and updates to the 2023 ADA Standards of Medical Care
- Identification of key elements of the position statement
- Discussion of how diabetes specialists can apply this information in their clinical setting
This course integrates the ADA Standard of Care on elements of a comprehensive medical assessment (Standard 4) of the individual living with prediabetes, diabetes, or hyperglycemia. Through case studies and real-life situations, we discover often hidden causes of hyperglycemia and other complications, such as liver disease, sleep apnea, pancreatitis, autoimmune diseases, fractures, and more.
- Identify common yet often underdiagnosed complications associated with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
- State strategies to identify previously undiscovered diabetes complications during assessments.
- Discuss links between hyperglycemia and other conditions including, transplant, cystic fibrosis, and liver disease.
During this webinar, Coach Beverly addresses each of these glucose mysteries and more, using a person-centered approach. She describes a stepwise approach to evaluate glucose patterns and correct common issues encountered by people living with type 1 diabetes.
- Describe common glucose mysteries encountered by people with type 1 diabetes.
- Using a stepwise approach, evaluate factors affecting glucose patterns.
- State interventions to increase time-in-range and improve quality of life.
Determining basal and bolus rates for multiple daily injections or insulin pumps can seem overwhelming. This course provides participants with a step-by-step approach to determining basal rates, bolus ratios, and how to problem-solve when blood glucose levels aren’t on target. During this course, Coach Beverly provides abundant case studies to give participants hands-on practice and build confidence when calculating insulin doses for a variety of situations.
- Describe using formulas to determine appropriate insulin dosing.
- Discuss strategies to determine and fine-tune basal insulin dose
- Describe how to determine and fine-tune bolus rates including coverage for carbs and hyperglycemia.
- Using a case study approach, utilize calculations to determine the best insulin dosing strategy.
We have included this course as an introduction to the abundance of medications available to treat type 2 diabetes. Plus, many people with type 1 diabetes may be taking these medications. We explore the different classes of diabetes medications including action, considerations, and side effects. Case studies help students with problem-solving and immediate application of this complex topic.
- Describe the main action of the different categories of type 2 diabetes medications
- Discuss strategies to determine the right medication for the right patient
- List the side effects and clinical considerations of each category of medication
- State how to use the ADA Medication algorithm to improve care
Instructors: Click here for faculty bios.
Earn: 15+ CEs
The use of DES products does not guarantee the successful passage of the CDCES exam. CBDCE does not endorse any preparatory or review materials for the CDCES exam, except for those published by CBDCE.